There is nothing worse then spending ten minutes looking for something to accomplish a three minute task. Clear the clutter and clear your mind.
- Hold the intention that the only three things aloud on your writing desk is a lamp, a small vase for flowers, and a photograph or two. That’s it! When you get up from your desk put everything else away except those three things.
- Sort your mail as soon as it comes in, then recycle, throw out, file, or respond. No piles and no promise to go through it later.
- Spend ten minutes a day walking through your house with a large shopping bag. Grab at least three things from each room in the house that you can throw away.
- Have a special reading box or basket- Sort through magazines or articles you want to read and tear out the articles you are interested in and recycle the rest of the magazine.
- Make sure you sort your email so you never have more than 3-5 things in your in box at any one time.
- Set up project files in Word to keep track of important things you are working on. Designate a separate file for each project or focus. You won’t have to hunt for your information when you need it.
- Shred unwanted office paper and use it for garden mulch, cat litter, or starting a nice crackling fire in the fireplace.
- Learn to say NO. Or at least get in the habit of asking for a day to think the request over. This will clear out clutter from your schedule.
- Make a rule that everything has a drawer, cabinet, basket, bin, or shelf it belongs on put nothing on the flat surfaces in your house.
- Write down all of those things that are running around your brain nagging you. Sort them into three categories.
- Things that will help me accomplish my goals that are Really important to me.
- Things I think are urgent or burning.
- Things I should do
Be honest and ruthless when you sort this list. Stop doing everything that falls under 3. Everything that falls under 2 Delegate to someone else or eliminate them all together. The items that fall under 1 are the only things you want to spend your time working on.